Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Bento Inventory

   In my last post I talked about what bento is. You may want to check that out if you haven't already, especially if you are new to bento.

   Let's talk about supplies (yay)!

   So since bento is about making art with food, you are obviously going to need basic kitchen supplies. You will also need some sort of a bento box (you can be creative) and things to help you sculpt ordinary food into art. You don't have to get too elaborate here - you should start with stuff you know you need and add on to your collection as you do more and more bento. My hardest step was figuring out a good bento box, until I finally decided to start with an Indian Thali Tray and upgrade later.

   Even though Nori is a food and not exactly equipment, I consider it a must have for Kyaraben making. It is very easy to cut (pretty much like paper) and is great for all sorts of face features.

   Here is my Bento Inventory:


There are:

2 cuttingboards
4 Knives
3 snowflake cookie cutters with two accessories to make the holes (for shaping sunnyside up eggs)
1 Thali Tray for putting bento (my bento box)
1 pack of Nori
1 laughing smiley face Nori puncher
1 bowl as a rice mold
1 sheet of parchment paper for sketching faces and making face outlines using rice (more about that later)
1 pair of scissors (to cut parchment paper and Nori)
1 small fork and spoon for finetuning things
1 butter knife to spread things (like pesto)
1 glass dish as a smaller bento box




   My next posts will talk about making Kyaraben. If there is anything else you think I should post please let me know in the comments. Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment