Thursday, December 26, 2013

Sunflora Bento!

Hello Everyone!

 Merry late Christmas and I'm sorry I haven't been posting. I'm really busy this year and I will try to post more bentos if I can.

 Anyway yesterday I made this Sunflora bento to celebrate the Wonderful World of Pokemon! This is a Sunflora (credit pokemondb.net)

 So I guess this is 1/2 of my response to the poll I had in July, asking "Which Kyaraben would you like to see made?" The winner was a tie between Iron Man and Pikachu/Pokemon, so I will be planning an Iron Man bento sometime... (:


Pokemon is my favorite cartoon and I love it so much! I decided to finally attempt a Pokemon bento after waiting so long in fear of messing it up.

 Anyway here's the bento......


To make Sunflora's body I used an American candy called AirHeads. It is a chewy, stretchy candy that comes in artificial fruit flavors like Blue Raspberry, Cherry, Orange, Pink Lemonade, etc. This one is Watermelon. 


The candy that comes right out of this wrapper was not long enough to carve out Sunflora's body so I used a rolling pin to roll it out. This works best when you sandwich it between wax paper so it doesnt stick to your pin. :)





                                        

I carved out Sunflora's feet, body and leaves using a regular kitchen knife. To do the stem of the leaves,
I cut it out of cucumber.

For the face, I cut a circle out of Mozzarella cheese (for the light yellow color) using the bottom of a steel cup as my stencil. 

I cut the petals out of Cheddar cheese, cutting out the first carefully and using that as my stencil to cut out the rest.

I used scissors and an X-Acto blade to cut out the face features.


I placed Sunflora on a parotha (flaky fluffy Indian bread), added a side of yogurt and a side of chicken curry (flavorful Indian stew made with onion, curry powder, chicken, mustard seed, cumin and garlic).

I added cherry tomatoes in an arc to add some color. If you plan to use AirHeads, I would recommend using a layer of wax paper as they are very sticky. 


And as always, thank you for reading my blog! :)




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. AirHeads are perfect for bento but they are really sticky though :P

      Delete
  2. wow! interesting candy... never seen this before here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I was just looking it up on Wikipedia and they are only sold in the U.S., Canada, and another lollipop version in Spain and Mexico :(

      Delete